HISTORY

Uparkot Fort In Junagadh Photos | History

History

Uparkot Fort In Junagadh Photos | History

View Uparkot Fort In Junagadh Photos | History

"Uparkot Fort In Junagadh Photos | History

The entrance is beyond the town in the east wall, and consists of three gateways, one inside the other. The fort walls are from 60 to 70 feet high, forming a massive cluster of buildings.

The inner gateway, a beautiful specimen of the Torana, has been topped by more later Indo-Saracenic work.

The entrance is beyond the town in the east wall, and consists of three gateways, one inside the other. The fort walls are from 60 to 70 feet high, forming a massive cluster of buildings.

The inner gateway, a beautiful specimen of the Torana, has been topped by more later Indo-Saracenic work.

On the rampart above the gate is an inscription of Mandalika III, dated 1450. About 150 yards to the left, through a grove of custard apples, may be seen a huge 10 inch bore cannon of bell-metal,

17 feet long and 4 feet 8 inch round at the mouth.

This gun was brought from Diu, where it was left by the Ottoman Turks following their defeat in Siege of Diu (1538). There is an Arabic inscription at the muzzle, which may be translated: “

The order to make this cannon, to be used in the service of the Almighty, was given by the Sultan of Arabia and Persia, Sultan Sulaiman, son of Salim Khan.

Uparkot Fort In Junagadh Photos | History

May his triumph be glorified, to punish the enemies of the State and of the Faith, in the capital of Egypt, 1531.” At the breech is inscribed: “The work of Muhamman, the son of Hamzah.” Another large cannon called Chudanal, also from Diu, in the southern portion of the fort, is 13 feet long, and has a muzzle 4 feet in diameter. This cannons are known by names, Neelam and Manek.

Near this is the Jama Masjid, evidently constructed from the materials of a Hindu temple built by Mahmud Begada. One plain slim minaret remains standing, but the mosque is much ruined. The ascent to the terraced roof is by a good staircase outside.

The Tomb of Nuri Shah, close to the mosque, is ornamented with fluted cupolas, and a most peculiar carving over the door.

There are two Wells in the Uparkot — the Adi Chadi or Adi Kadi Vav, said to have been built in ancient times by the slave girls of the Chudasama rulers, is descended by a long flight of steps

(the sides of the descent show the most remarkable overlappings and changes of lie in the strata, for which alone it is worth a visit to anyone with geological tastes) ;

and the Navghan Kuvo, cut to a great depth in the soft rock, and with a circular staircase.

Uparkot Caves are 2nd-3rd century Buddhist caves located in the Uparkot. It is double storyed cave complex used by Buddhist monks during ancient times.

Nawabi Lake is a square artificial lake located in the Uparkot.

Tags

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close